CIFNAL Steering Committee
CIFNAL Steering Committee, Saturday, June 23, from 10:30-12:30, Anaheim Convention Center Room 212A
The Steering Committee of CIFNAL will meet at ALA Annual in Anaheim on Saturday, June 23, from 10:30 am – 12:30 in Room 212A of the Anaheim Convention Center.
--This is an OPEN meeting and all CIFNAL members and potential members are welcome and encouraged to participate in person or via the listserv pre- or post meeting.--
1) Introductions and Approval of Minutes 2) Report from CRL 3) Reports from the Working Groups:
• Collection Development Working Group (Sarah Wenzel):
Consortial agreements for electronic products: CAIRN; Classiques Garnier Numérique; Electronic Enlightenment; Le Grand Robert; update on EUREKA; Érudit trial; interest in L’Harmathèque; other databases we would like to pursue consortially?
CIFNAL facilitating the sharing of OCR'd text (e.g., Hathi Trust) with Gallica (which hasn't OCR'd much of its older material). The following article may provide additional food for thought: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/12/technology/french-publisher-group-strikes-deal-with-google-over-e-books.html
• Engaging Francophone Partners Working Group (Sarah Sussman):
Sarah S. is contributing an article on French and francophone collections in North American libraries for the Bulletin des bibliothèques de France. This provides an opportunity to publicize CIFNAL among French colleagues. In return, Sarah would like input on the subject; particularly strong general collections are relatively well known, but libraries with key niche collections less so. We’ll start the discussion in Anaheim, but will continue on the list or via email directly to Sarah.
We discussed at our previous meeting interest by Sylvain Houdebert of the Université des Antilles et de la Guyane in professional exchanges between North American and his institution. I would like to continue to explore opportunities to strengthening ties between North American and Francophone institutions.
4) Additional topics of discussion:
• dLOC http://www.dloc.com/: update and CIFNAL participation
• French Pamphlets Project http://ufdc.ufl.edu/fpp/all: update on new developments, grant proposal, and CIFNAL participation
• I would like to continue our discussion and receive feedback on the direction of CIFNAL; the alignment of our strategic priorities with GRN priorities; possibilities of cooperation with related GRN projects, and initiatives that share our goals (AIFBD)—as well as my continued role as chair. I would also like to consider whether we could emulate GNARP and migrate our Midwinter meeting to an online discussion, via Skype, Google+ Hangouts, AnyMeeting or other (or telephone conference call).
Our meeting adjourns at 12:30.
I look forward to seeing you in Anaheim!
Sebastian CIFNAL Chair