The Social Sciences & History Web is designed to provide access to scholarly resources in selected subject and geographic areas within the field of Western European Studies. We do not strive for exhaustiveness but rather for quality. The resources organized here have undergone a selection and evaluation process. If needed, annotations have been provided augmenting the research value of these resources to scholars.
- Eurostat, The Statistical Office of the European Communities. The publishing program of Eurostat is in a state of flux. Many publications are still being published in paper and many are being sent to European Union Depository Libraries in the United States. Click here for a list of EU Depository Libraries.
- Much statistics and demographic information is available via SOSIG (Social Science Information Gateway), maintained at the University of Bristol. SOSIG (pronounced "sausage"), is the UK's first subject-based web catalog of resources.
- Historical Microdata from Around the World, based at the University of Tromso, Norway. Links to historical data collections for the Scandinavian countries and the Netherlands.
- Austria -- Statistik Austria (English page)
- Finland -- Statistics Finland (English page)
- France -- Institute National de Statistique et des Etudes Economiques (INSEE) (limited English page is available)
- France -- EVARISTE: Etude et Valorisation des Activites de Recherche et l'Innovation Scientifique et Technique
- Germany -- Federal Statistical Office of Germany (English page)
- Ireland -- Central Statistics Office
- Netherlands -- Statistics Netherlands (English page)
- Norway -- Statistics Norway (English page)
The Norwegian Historical Data Centre (English page), which is working to produce a national population register for the 18th and 19th centuries; based at the University of Tromso, Norway.
- Portugal -- Instituto Nacional de Estatistica (English page), the "Products and Services" section contains general statistical data; the "Infoline" section, which requires a login and password, is a fee-based service which can generate customized statistics.
- Spain -- Instituto Nacional de Estadistica
- Sweden -- Statistics Sweden (English page)
- Switzerland -- Bundesamt für Statistik (English page)
- United Kingdom -- National Statistics
- The Index to International Statistics (IIS), published by the Congressional Information Service, is an excellent starting point for locating statistical of all kinds. Check the catalogs at your local library to determing the location of this set. The printed index refers researchers to the complete documents available in microfiche. Many libraries subscribe to Statistical Universe, which also contains the full text of selected documents. Check with your own local library for available options.
- Nationmaster: Provides statistics on many nations including those of Western Europe.
- United Nations Economic Commission for Europe: Provides in-depth information on statistics and other economic information.
The editor for the Social Sciences & History Web is Gordon Anderson
( University of Minnesota). We welcome contributors.
Comments and further suggestions may be sent to:
ganderso @ umn.edu".
The Social Sciences & History Web is one part of the Western European Studies Section Web of resources for Western European studies.
These web pages do not necessarily represent the views of the participatinglibraries nor of their sponsoring institutions.