Recruitment Committee Meetings- 2006 Midwinter Agenda
Midwinter Virtual Meeting, 2006
- Fred reports about distribution of the news release and responses to it: "Not all that many responses to date, unless you or others have received a lot that I haven't seen. Pretty much all from H-Net. I have seen no results yet from the meta-organizations (e.g., ACLS); perhaps it is time to do APA, AHA, MLA, etc." What do you all think about this? Have you received any responses that Fred wasn’t copied on, and is it time to distribute the release to specific learned societies?
- From Dale: Further publicizing the web site, specifically, ensuring that it's linked from relevant places: WESS site, professional societies' pages (if they permit), libraries' HR pages, ALA/ACRL pages related to recruitment, etc.
- From Charlene: One thing we might want to discuss are the difficulties some recent MLS grads are having finding an academic library job. We might want to put a longer statement about the importance of some library experience and suggestions for how to get it, on the Web site. We might also want to look for research or stats about retirements, turnover, and the apparent dearth of entry-level jobs in academia (or do some ourselves?).
- Collaborating with other groups on recruitment--which ones, when, and how?
- New chair: someone needs to take over after ALA annual this June.
- Reports of any recruitment-related activities you've been engaged in, whether part of the committee's work or not.
- Should we be considering/planning any additional activities or initiatives besides those suggested above?
- Feedback on this style of meeting-—how did it work for you, and is it an adequate substitute for a face-to-face meeting at Midwinter? Any problems or concerns in this regard?
This site is an outreach project of the Western European Studies Section (WESS), a section within the Association of College and Research Libraries, itself a division of the American Library Association.
Brought to you by the WESS Recruitment to the Profession Committee
©2019 by the American Library Association. This document may be reproduced or reprinted for educational, non-commercial use, in whole or in part, without permission as long as the above copyright statement and source are clearly acknowledged. Neither this document nor any reproductions may be sold.
URL of this Web page: http://wessweb.info/index.php/Recruitment_Committee_Meetings-_2006_Midwinter_Agenda