College and Medium-sized Libraries & Social Sciences and History Discussion Groups Midwinter 2016
College and Medium Sized Libraries & Social Sciences and History Discussion Groups
Sunday, January 10, 2016 3:00-4:00 pm
Westin Copley Plaza, Courier room
Weeding/Deselection/Remote Storage Discussion
Conveners: Jonathan Marner, Katie Gibson
Our joint DG meeting this time will be participatory. We will discuss issues associated with deselection and remote storage of items in the collection. Please share your insights and experiences and/or learn from each other! To get the ball rolling, here are some suggested questions/topics of discussion; feel free of course to raise other issues that occur to you.
- What prompts libraries to deselect and/or send items to remote storage (e.g., space needs, collection development policies, etc.)?
- What differences between monograph and continuing resources materials play a role here?
- What about different physical formats (print, sound recordings, microform, etc.)?
- What are the pros and cons of jointly-operated and/or consortial remote storage facilities?
- Does size of university/library/collection play a part?
- Are there differences among materials that represent varying academic disciplines/domains?
- What special considerations might be given to historical/valuable/rare/special collections materials?