An Inventory of Language and Literature
Home Pages & Portals
- Lists Internet sources for literary texts in the western European languages other than English.
- Collection of links for German-language literature, ranging from electronic journals to bibliographies and text collections.
- Virtual Library for German Language and Literature.
- Maintained by a consortium of project partners, including the Universitätsbibliothek Frankfurt am Main
- and the Deutsches Literaturarchiv Marbach.
- A guide to links in all areas of Yiddish Studies, academic and non-academic.
- Full text of hundreds of texts by German women writers.
- Virtual Library for Romance Studies, particularly French Language, Literature, and Culture.
- Also available in French.
- Maintained by the Universitäts- und Landesbibliothek Bonn.
- Language and Literature section of the Virtual Library for Eastern Europe.
Linguistic Corpus Collections
A reference corpus of the German language through texts in all fields from the beginnings to 1900.
Web Editions of Individual Authors (Open Access Scholarly Projects)
- Heinrich Heine Portal
A major projects that combines the Düsseldorfer Heine-Ausgabe and the Heine-Säkularausgabe.
- Immanuel Kant: Gesammelte Schriften
At this point, 9 of the 23 volumes of the Akademie Ausgabe are available in searchable full text.
See also the page of the Bonner Kant-Korpus .
- The Novels of Fanny Lewald
Full-text page images of ten of Fanny Lewald's works. Includes supplemental material (i.e. links to works of criticism). Created by Washington University Libraries.
Is subscription-based as of 2006
- Enlightenment journals (digitization project)
A large number of 18th and 19th century journals, ranging from Berlinische Monatsschrift to Thalia. Search and browse full text.
- Exilpresse digital
A selection of significant German exile magazines (1933-1945)
- Grimms deutsches Wörterbuch
Searchable version of the German equivalent of the OED.
- Middle High German dictionaries
Free access to the two standard dictionaries of the Middle High German language, "Lexer" and "Benecke/Müller/Zarncke".
Bibliographies, Indexes & Finding Aids
- Bibliographie der deutschen Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft
The major bibliography for German language and literature. (Currently the years 1985-1997 are available.)
- Deutsche Dichterhandschriften des Poetischen Realismus
A web guide for locating 19th century manuscript holdings. Created by Richard Hacken and Marianne Siegmund.
- Innsbrucker Zeitungsarchiv
An index to newspaper articles (some full text) on German-language and other literatures.
- Projekt historischer Roman
Database for biographical and bibliographical information on the German historical novel (1770-1945). From the Universität Innsbruck.
- Weimarer Goethe-Bibliographie online
A major international bibliography. At this point only selected years are available. Full coverage of 1991-present is planned.
Directories & Handbooks.
- Kürschners Deutscher Literatur-Kalender
Addresses of writers, literary agents, prizes, etc.
- Handbuch für Autorinnen und Autoren
Very useful collection of addresses for literary journals, awards, associations, etc.
See also Manuscripts